Thursday 13 August 2009

C. C. Allen, Chichester

I had noticed this doorstep mosaic during a previous visit to Chichester but on that occasion it was snowing heavily and a cold wind was sweeping the streets. Sticking my hands out of my pockets to grab the camera was simply not appealing at all. Fortunately the weather was slightly better when we went back a few months ago.


Location: South Street, Chichester / Picture taken on: 11/04/2009

The National Archives hold the account books for Messrs Allen, jewellers of South Street, Chichester, for the years 1937-1969. However the mosaic may predate 1937. Indeed had it been put by Messrs Allen, one could have expected a "&" or "and". Then could C. C. Allen have been their father? Answers in the comments, please...

2 comments:

Happyhammer11 said...

Hi, I've just come across this article whilst doing family research. I can confirm that C.C. Allen was Charles Cosens Allen.
I hope this is helpful.

Peter A. Few.

Sebastien Ardouin said...

Thank you very much Happyhammer. One mystery solved!